Friday, August 05, 2005

News Summary: Sudan

Toll Rises in Sudan Violence Amid
Pleas for Calm
August 5, 2005–International Herald Tribune
Some southerners upset with the death of the rebel leader and Vice President John Garang clashed with northern Arabs and government security forces struggling to restore order. Over 100 people have been killed. A curfew has been instated, from dusk to dawn, but this is being ignored by each side.
Sudan after Garang: Saving the Peace
August 5, 2005-International Herald Tribune
Southern Sudan is devastated in every sense of the word. There is no electricity. For the majority of villages, there is no access to clean water. Two generations have lived in war. The concept of planning has disappeared in many communities. As one mother in the southern Sudanese region of Kedi'ba asked me, "Why would I plant crops today when I do not know if I will be alive tomorrow?" And yet the prospect of peace was beginning to change all that.

The potential fallout from his death cannot be overstated. The United States, which has played a crucial role in Sudan's south, must step in to ensure that the fragile peace there endures.
African Leaders Mourn Sudan's Garang, Welcome Kiir
August 4, 2005-Reuters
The AU is mostly interested in the North-South peace agreement signed in December. (They say January, but I was paying more attention!) I do not trust this Mr. Kiir. He did not agree with VP John Garang. He believed the South should be a separate country. You will not find this in the story. Just thought you should know. lol. You can read the article if you like, but it isn't true.

More to come, later. Have a nice day.

Correction: I was wrong about Mr. Kiir. I must have mistaken him for someone else I read about a couple days ago. My apologies. He is the President of the SPLM/A, and he supports the peace process.