Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Protests, martial law, and NO NEWS, Iran

Today marks the eighth day of unrest in Mahabad, Iran since the rioting started. This all came to a head when the police murdered one of their Kurdish Activists. Every town and city in the area is affected by this rioting, and the government is coming down on the people very brutally. (For more information, read here, here, here, and here.)

The media is not reporting this. We must write, call, and fax the news people working on TV, the newspapers, magazines, etc. Keep writing. Keep the heat on. They must know we care, if they are to do anything.

Many people believe it is because our newspeople have no bravery. I do not believe this. I know some of them would love to get the story. You just have to get in touch with that right person and convince him/her that many of us care.

I'm sure it can work. I pray it can work. I do know that it will not work if we do nothing. If we do nothing, we will be as guilty as the butcherers. For once you know of a situation and choose not to lift a finger to help, then by default you are as guilty.

Please. I know all of you. You are good people. E-mail a letter to the editor of your local paper or the NY Times. Any paper. It only takes a minute. Maybe I will write a letter that you could even copy/paste! I would really appreciate it, for you would be helping many friends.